On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Andreas Beck wrote:

> When GGI was you, graphics on Linux was something exciting, new. And
> hardware wasn't that overly powerful, that you could just take some
> strange highlevel toolkit, drop in a scenery and get a 3D rendering
> from it. in realtime, just because the hardware was so good at
> crunching even badly structured code. GGI was _interesting_ - it gave
> something we didn't have on Linux yet, and it was _challenging_ to
> write Code for it.

You are too negative. What about 2 independent applications sharing a
single 3D engine? What about doing more complex scenes?
 You know, whatever the advance of PowerPC, MacOS9 was doomed... IMHO, the
difficulty with GGI or KGI is more the lack of documentation and support
for graphics hardware (as ever) than something else.

> 6. Give the users what they want: enhance the interfaces to make it
>    more feasible to port given apps to it. 3D/games-related stuff is on
>    that list. I also have a Widget-library in my work queue (stalled due
>    to other priorities right now). If anyone want to have the code,
>    I'll gladly send it along. If a few brave coders here take care of it
>    it might quickly turn into something useful.

Which widget library? Some of your own or something more general? BTW,
what about Berlin/Fresco?

Rodolphe