On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Filip Spacek wrote:
> What I think is needed is a more evolved concept of a subvisual. The
> current one can only be used to create a rectangular viewport on an
> existing visual is unfortunately insufficient. What we need is a subvisual
> that can be defined by an arbitrary number of clipping regions.

What we need is a core rework that allows cloning of entire visuals which
will be useful for many purposes.  This will involve quite some coding in
all the target-specific code and addition core GGI API (e.g. ggiCloneVisual)
though if we want it to work cleanly.

> Rectangular probably, but it would be pretty sweet if we could get the
> functionality of the X shape extension (not that I'm very familiar with
> it). Even more, what is needed is a means for a process to suply this
> clipping info.

LibBuf is meant to take care of this using runlength encoded (actually
there's a more complicated/efficient format used than simple runlength)
stencil/Z buffers.  With only the main visual this will be slightly tedious
in that the stencil buffers must be detached/reattached when you switch
"windows."  With multiple visuals as mentioned above each "subvisual"
could have a different stencil buffer attached.

Personally the dl system rewrite is higher on my TODO list than cloning
visuals, however.

--
Brian