On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Filip Spacek wrote:
[...]
> Yes! These are exactly my dreams for the (near) future of libggi.
>
> What I think is needed is a more evolved concept of a subvisual. The
> current one can only be used to create a rectangular viewport on an
> existing visual is unfortunately insufficient. What we need is a subvisual
> that can be defined by an arbitrary number of clipping regions.
> Rectangular probably, but it would be pretty sweet if we could get the
> functionality of the X shape extension (not that I'm very familiar with
> it). Even more, what is needed is a means for a process to suply this
> clipping info.

That was nearly the kind of thing I wanted to do inside libgwt. It is
surely outdated now, but it could be a starting point. At least, the
hidden region management was nearly operational. The integration into
libggi was much less ready.

My original "grand plan" was to port the OpenAmulet widget library to GGI
using libgwt. Maybe it was too ambitious for a single man however... (Plus
the fact that OpenAmulet code is a mess. But maybe GTK or Qt are worse I
don't know in fact.) With some more time in between though, I wonder if
one should not adress the GUI library problem from another angle... ;-)

Rodolphe