I didn't even know you could turn off brush outlines. I took it as a
mini-challenge to see if I could work it out. BTW, to create some context
for my experience I have been using GIMP since 2003, and designing /
"architecting" web sites since 1994. Here's what I found :)

   - I first went to the *brushes dialog* and looked all the options
   (refresh, delete, duplicate, etc). No luck there...
   - I tried right clicking on the *brushes tab* and all I got was a list of
   the other docked tabs (Brushes, patterns, Gradients, Fonts, etc). No luck
   there...
   - I then went to the *tools menu* and scanned through the options listed
   there. Nothing.
   - Then I went to the *Preferences dialog box* from the Edit menu.
   Scanning through the sections listed on the left, I first tried tool
   options, Nothing.
   - Then I went to *Google *and typed in "*turn off gimp brush outlines*".
   The second result was the one I chose, a link to chapter 11 of the GIMP
   manual, *Pimp my GIMP*. After doing a text search on the page for *brush
   out*, I scrolled up to see what section of Gimp was being referred to and
   found that you can turn off brush outlines in the *Image Windows *section
   of the *Edit / Preferences *menu.  If you look under *Mouse Pointers*,
   you will see an option allowing you to do this...

Not the most intuitive approach, but I did learn something new about the
GIMP, though :)

Thanks