I've tested working with outlines both on and off, and there really isn't much of a difference (other than not knowing my brush size), and I'm using an i7 quad core.

GIMP is great and I'm getting used to it (after moving from Windows to Ubuntu and adopting GIMP instead of Photoshop), and it has some functions that Photoshop should get, but - sadly - Photoshop wins in the category of real-time rendering speeds.  With 600MB of RAM allocated to Photoshop, I was able to have faster real-time rendering than with GIMP (with 3GB of RAM allocated to it).

Simple comparison: An A4 page, 300DPI, open in both applications.  Grab a paint brush and and increase its size considerably.  Paint across the canvas and watch how much GIMP lags; the rendering of the strokes trails the brush, while in Photoshop, it's almost immediate.

This means that system resources play a role, but so does the actual rendering engine inside GIMP.  For web design, you don't notice this, but for DTP, you certainly do.

Apparently, though, this won't change for another few releases.  :(