On , Marius Mårnes Mathiesen <marius.mathie...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone subscribed to this list will know that installing Gitorious is not for the faint of heart. There are a lot of moving parts, a lot of dependencies, and getting everything right is difficult. I really want to change this.

The question is: once we have an easily installed, anonymous/authenticated, pull/push solution for Git traffic: is it time to deprecate the other protocol handlers in Gitorious:

- The SSH handler
- The Git handler (git-daemon or git-proxy)

Would anybody miss them?

Yes, lots of people disable the HTTP support completely and only use SSH for writes and Git of read only access. This is what we do for our installation. This is very important for work flows where people should be able to check out read only copies but not be able to write.

All my Java projects, and there and dozens and dozens of Java repos in my Gitorious install, use Maven 3 and its support for the maven-release-plugin and scm-plugin which it uses to update Git automatically when preforming releases. the SCM plugin likes to have a "developer" url and a "guest" url so it can publish documentation with links that people can checkout the code but not be able to write to it.

We only give write access to people that are responding to merge requests and use the git protocol for adding remotes to private clones to pull from the mainline repository.

This separation of concerns is very important to workflows like this.

If you want to enhance the HTTP, then by all means do that, but don't remove any functionality that is already there and working great.

PS: As to the difficulty in installing Gitorious. It took me most of a day and a half to get it up and running on a CentOS 5.5 server. Most of the time was me dealing with all the very specific versions of Ruby stuff that wasn't available via any one YUM repository. I do just about every language but Ruby and it ecosystem, there were lots of things I just had to guess at until I got it right. In particular setting up Passenger details under Apache 2.2.x entailed lots and lots of Googling and emails to the group and IRC chats, because most of the Passenger documentation refers to config files and things with the assumption you know where they actually are. Gitorious wasn't stable until I got this nailed down.

There is already what looks like a nice Chef recipe for Ubuntu, we don't do Ubuntu because we have standardized on RHEL5/CentOS5 because that is what all our clients use, an RPM package and a custom YUM repository for RHEL5/CentOS5.x that at least consolidated all the very specific Ruby/Rails/Passenger details into a single RPM and have dependencies on all the other stuff like Apache, MySQL, etc. would go a long way to a more painless adoption.