Chetan Sharma points out that technology by itself may not generate
jobs. But entrepreneurship certainly does--and the examples of Germany
and Finland he points to may reflect lack of an entrepreneurial culture
more than anything about technology. And technology can play a role in
helping create entrepreneurial opportunities or in supporting small
enterprises. The Sanchalak's that run ITC echoupals generate additional
income from their entrepreneurial role as the computer hosts, the kiosk
and PTO entrepreneurs in India phone and (growing) Internet networks are
a similar example; so too the village phone entrepreneurs in Bangladesh
and South Africa and now Uganda. Both the need for shared-access
points--the dominant model for access to connectivity among the very
poor and even the not so poor in developing countries (even in
middle-class, urban Peru, for example) and the entrepreneurial
opportunities such needs create and can create are a prime example of
how the spread of ICT networks can help stimulate job creation.

Allen L. Hammond
Vice President for Innovation & Special Projects
World Resources Institute
10 G Street NE
Washington, DC 20002  USA
V (202) 729-7777
F (202) 729-7775
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.wri.org
www.digitaldividend.org

On 11/8/04, Chetan Sharma asked:

> Why do small European economies such as Germany and France, who have
> always embraced technology and have such a huge technological
> advancement, have major employment problems?
>
> Why does Finland, despite home-grown Nokia, continue to languish with
> unemployment and joblessness?
>
> If we do not have jobs of any nature--if we do not even have stable
> livelihoods--then what has been the worth of Globalization and
> technological advancement?

..snip...