Fola Odufawa's post on 10/28/04 reminded me of a paper titled "The
Bangalore Boom: From Brain Drain to Brain Circulation?" by AnnaLee
Saxenian of the University of California at Berkeley. The URL for this
is: <http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~anno/papers/bangalore_boom.html>

The Indian experience has been that many of our country's top technology
professionals migrated abroad because the opportunity to exploit their
talents was not available within India. For example, Vinod Dham who led
the team that designed the Pentium chip at Intel once said that he would
never have got an opportunity to work on such a significant technology
back home in India. This statement was made around six years ago.

Over the last few years what we have seen is that many of the
professionals who went abroad are coming back, attracted by the growing
Indian market and the professional opportunities that are opening up in
the country.

Venky