Dear GKD Members,

Historical evidence suggests that technological developments of all
kinds can make improvements in the process, time management, convenience
for the consumer. However, to the best of my knowledge, no technological
innovation has demonstrated "enhanced" employability of the people. I do
not want to start my postings on a negative note; but if we talk of the
poor then we must talk about the poorest of the poor who probably do not
have the education, nor tools nor technologies for eking out livelihods
for themselves.

It was widely perceived in my country (India) when we initiated the
reform, liberalization process and consequently the globalization
process, that poverty would decline, and uneven development would get
bridged. Ten years later, we still find a very high degree of
joblessness. Worse yet, there been a complete erosion of "employment"
security--employment now tends to be casual, temporary, sub-standard
and lower-paying than before. It seems ironic that a country with a huge
population of over 1 billion people, a resilient economy, abundant
natural resources, a just and equitable democratic Government, has over
30-35% marginal/partial employment, 60% self-employed (most of whom are
poor), and only 10% regular employees of which two-fifths are employed
by the public sector. Why does that high level of unemployment persist?

Why do small European economies such as Germany and France, who have
always embraced technology and have such a huge technological
advancement, have major employment problems?

Why does Finland, despite home-grown Nokia, continue to languish with
unemployment and joblessness?

If we do not have jobs of any nature--if we do not even have stable
livelihoods--then what has been the worth of Globalization and
technological advancement?

It was said that when economies transitioned from agrarian economies to
manufacturing and then to services, that huge opportunities would get
created for the poor across the globe.

Regretably, nothing of this sort has happened, at least in India where
it ought to have happened. So should we not hesitate to dig even deeper
into the African and Latin American malaise?

The truth is that Indian BPO and technological advancements in ICT have
benefitted only a very small percentage of the elite, English speaking,
highly educated Engineers and Professionals. Vast masses of Indians who
neither have English nor technological prowess have remained untouched
by the BPO and ICT surge.

Let us examine the case of the Apparel and Ready-Made-Garments sector
where a lot of modernization occured driven by illustrous Fashion
Designers, supported by the Global Chain of Designer Labels: GAP, Marks
& Spencer and hundreds of them. As a consequence, huge increases in the
production of Ready-Made-Garments were reported from India, Bangladesh
and Sri Lanka, three South Asian countries who manufactured large
quantities of ready made garments. Yet rapid growth of the
Ready-Made-Garment Industry did not improve the state of the employees,
especially women employees who predominate the Garment Industry. The
women faced retrenchment and statutory benefits were denied to them.
They faced, and continue to face, erratic work schedules, reduced wages
and lack of any form of "Decent" long term sustainable livelihoods.
(SOURCE--UNCTAD, UNIFEM)

Therefore we need to examine the covergence of Globalization, Technology
and Poverty with greater innovation and greater "Empathy." As our Prime
Minister Dr. ManMohan Singh, a noted Economist in his own right, says:
"Globalization with a human face".

I believe "Globalization" largely means "Business" and indeed Business
stands to benefit most by Globalization. Yet there are Business
Approaches and Business Models that can and are making a lot of
difference. There has been no dearth of outstanding businesses that are
also philanthropists all across the world especially in the West--in
USA, Europe. There are innumerable examples of awesome Corporate Social
Responsibility (CSR) initiatives all across the Globe. I intend to cover
many of these in my subsequent postings. However, for all of us who
believe in Globalization, Business and Technology, our first and most
critical priority ought to be livelihoods and to make these forces work
for the poor.

If there is no trickle down effect of these three forces --
Globalization, Business, Technology -- to help the poorest of the poor,
disadvantaged, disfranchised, women and aged, sick and frail -- then I
am afraid it is not going to work.

Chetan Sharma-CEO,
Datamation-New Delhi (India)
www.datamationindia.com

Founder-Datamation Foundation Trust (a registered non-profit
organization)
www.datamationfoundation.org
Ph#s 91-11-22167230/22167973/22168017  (M) 91-9811039482