Dear Colleagues,

It would be good if we could agree on a few details.

1. The "poor" seem to cover a range of peoples. Some are so desperately
poor that any kind of direct ownership, or even use, of ICT is
impossible.

2. Simply because "ownership or direct use" of ICT is not relevant for a
certain class of poor does not mean that the introduction of such
technology into the proximate context of those people will not be
helpful to their situation. It is not necessary for every citizen to
become a doctor in order for the general state of health to rise with
the introduction of some doctors and medical infrastructure.

3. If we want to discuss the *very* poor then ICT may not be very
important; it may offer little in the way of short term improvements
under any scenario.

4. If we want to discuss technology and business then we may be limited
to discussing options which cannot reach the poorest people directly. We
may be forced to deal with scenarios that necessarily involve the "less
poor" or even the "elite" in any particular context.

5. Simply because #4 may be somewhat inevitable due to cost and skill
shortages does not mean that ICT can't have a dramatic impact on the
circumstances of the poor. For example, the introduction of
telecommunications has clearly placed pressure on authoritarian
political regimes. This is less true when the ownership and control of
telecom is entirely in the hands of the state but it is clearly not
necessary for a society to reach the point where everyone can afford a
cell phone before liberalized telecom unleashes a torrential array of
forces; most of which generate positive long term benefits for the poor.

Outliers may muddy the statistics but they provide role models and more.
Sure India is an outlier is many dimensions; it has enough poor people
to rank low on lots of surveys; it has enough millionaire Ph.D.'s living
in California to rank high on others. Big deal. It is a great role
model. Nigerians are incredibly annoyed that India sells more software
than they do and they can't quite figure out how that happened. South
Africa may be so rich and powerful relative to most of Sub-Saharan
Africa that it is hard to see how lessons from there can be applied
elsewhere until you think globally and notice that there are already
companies in SA that have "out grown" it and are seeking business
opportunity in neighboring countries. Sure mega-centers "attract"
capital and brainpower but they also aggregate resources as well, until
a point where they inevitably "overflow" and seek opportunity elsewhere.

One of the barriers to development across Sub-Saharan Africa is the
inability of the individual countries to coordinate, so that from a
business perspective the entire region can be addressed as a single
economic opportunity. I think it is no surprise that satellite
television and cellular networks are two businesses that have managed to
grow pan-African footprints; because they can to some degree escape
regulation, and they support business processes which are largely
uninterested in "artificial" boundaries. Other industries will require
more supportive governments before the good that they can do can migrate
more easily. When we can get to a world with less artificial isolation
then the poor will be less isolated as well.