John Abreau said:

>I'm sort of in between. I've been using vi since 1983, and emacs since
>1996.
>I tend to use emacs mostly for coding and scripting, as most of the stuff
>I'd do in vi is second nature at this point, whereas I still have to
>think about how to do a lot of things in emacs.

I learned vi in DOS using elvis.  Or Stevie.  After learning emacs w/
Freemacs.  About '89 or so.  I learned alot of unix stuff on DOS (awk,
C, lex/yacc).  minix wasn't that much better then DOS at that time.

>On the other hand, I despise Vim. Sure, it's got extra features over and
>above "real" vi, but after 19 years of using vi, I find the differences

I had users getting tripped up on vi quirks on Solaris.  Someone had
installed elvis as /usr/local/bin/vi and they had that before /usr/bin
and /usr/ucb in thier path.

>In the past I'd always end up tracking down the source to nvi and building
>that to replace vim. The past couple years, however, Redhat has been
>shipping
>nvi with their distribution. Nvi is actually the "real" vi; as I
>understand
>it, it's basically the original BSD vi codebase with the AT&T-tainted bits
>scraped off.

I wondering how AT&T bits got in.  Vi was pure BSD that Bill Joy
developed.  All the Bell Lab guys liked ed.  When Rob Pike developed the
sam gui-ized editor he made sure you could drop to command mode and do
ed like vi/ex.

--
-------
Tom Buskey