On 3/25/07, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 3/25/07, Thomas Charron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem is, someone needs to stand up and say 'this ain't
> right'.

  This hearkens back to the wireless phone carrier subthread I
accidentally started.

  As long as people continue to subscribe to the service as it is now,
DirectTV Inc has no incentive to change their ways.

  If people refused to pay for service they couldn't record
themselves, I can guarantee this problem would disappear.

As a TiVo owner and former DirecTV subscriber, I couldn't figure out why
people would get a DirecTiVo instead of a stand alone.

The standalone lets you transfer between 2 TiVos or to a PC that you can
burn to DVD.  The standalone can run HME java apps and view weather, movie
listings, etc.

The stand alone is free with a 1 year subscription up front.  The DirecTiVo
has a slightly smaller subscription.

Neither can do HDTV.  Of course, the Series 3 can.  $700 + subscription +
cable card.  No HME or HME or TiVo2TiVo or TiVo2PC.

Of course, my next TiVo will be MythTV.  Anyone got a way for them to play
.TiVo files directly?  Or script Myth to run tivodecode to convert to mpg
before playing? :-)