At a pre-holiday dinner last night with some technically proficient friends
last night, the subject of DVD auto region setting came up.  Since this
applies to all who use DVD readers/burners in their computers, it may not be
even as OT as esoteric audio speakers (having ear of tin, I don't rise above
those ubiquitous little $15 stereo squawkers).  And this forum is as good a
place to ask as any I know, considering the available savvy freely and
eloquently exercised here!

Many of these devices let you play (or presumably record) any region DVD,
but then "lock in" automatically on one region after 3 or 4 changes.
Presumably this is an industry-mandated observance of the absurd (IMHO)
division of the world into "regions" capable of playing only DVDs in those
markets.

Suppose your fourth choice (or whichever one locks in the region code) is
"region zero".  DVDs coded region zero play anywhere - it is a wild card
(Type O, Daddy-o!).  No one last night could answer the captioned question -
would then the DVD reader/burner lock in as a region zero device and be able
to play DVDs of any region on a permanent basis?  And burn region zero DVDs?
Does anyone know?  Has anyone tried this? (A false move might render your
new DVD device incapable of doing the right thing or anything, perhaps - so
I wouldn't try without wiser counsel).

Dave Ecklein