I guess I'll throw my two cents in...

While a non-standard unit (no OS, etc) is out of process, I would
imagine that Microsoft's OEM licensing Agreement forces the OEM to sell
a percentage of units with the latest Microsoft bloatware, and I'd
imagine that percentage or term to be somewhere around 95% or so.
Whatever market share Microsoft wishes (or thinks) it should
retain/obtain.

It seems Microsoft's business practices regarding the "privilege" to
sell Microsoft products are similar to Wal-Mart's.  Bully suppliers to
play by your rules, or tell them to get off the field.

There's a reason that the industry hasn't moved to OSS, and it's not
because of any other reason then Microsoft.  If OEM's were a free to
sell what they want, to who they want, I believe that within a few years
you would see OSS loaded desktops in the mainstream, right next to
Microsoft desktops.

Furthermore, I believe that without Microsoft's "market share" (is it
really market share if it's forced?) they would have to step up and
produce real, marketable products that were compatible with other OS's
and packages.  Ditto for security.  Waiting two weeks for patches to
resolve a 0day exploit?  Fun.

What are they worried about?  Microsoft products are head and shoulders
above any software written by a bunch of communist-hippie-hobbyists. :]

Maybe I'm way off base here.  It is before noon.

~hkb