On 01/21/2009 03:33 PM, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 12:02 -0500, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 10:53 -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
The question is, did you avoid paying for it anyway?

Vista Home Premium appears to add $30 to the cost.
The Vista laptop allows for some lower cost options that are not
available in the Ubuntu configurations.  Once all the hardware got
equalized, the Vista quote was higher by $30.

We finally got our laptop on the third try. 1. was the Dell Studio documented in this thread (lcd screen did
        not support Ubuntu's resolution choices)
     2. was purchased at Staples, but, after installing Ubuntu, the
        screen driver was simply too slow to tolerate.  We returned the
        laptop after running the Windows restore.
     3. is a Dell Inspiron.  While Dell sells these with Ubuntu, there
        was a discount code that saved ~$200 as compared to the Ubuntu
        version with equivalent hardware choices.  I did grumble to Dell
        about being forced to buy Vista.  Ubuntu 8.04 worked OK and the
        upgrade to 8.10 went smoothly.  The GUI tools work well enough
        that my daughter appears to be self-sufficient with the sysadmin
        tasks.  Bluetooth has not yet been tested.

I'm not a fan of Dell computers. In general they cause us the most issues in installfests. I've personally had good luck with HP/Compaq as well as Lenovo. I think your problem might be that Ubuntu did not have good support for the installed graphics chip. Generally, before I buy a laptop, I check online to see if there are any Linux issues.

--
Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix