On 01/22/2009 12:55 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
On 2009-01-21 3:33 PM, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
      2. was purchased at Staples, but, after installing Ubuntu, the
         screen driver was simply too slow to tolerate.  We returned the
         laptop after running the Windows restore.

I've seen the Dell sign in the window at Staples, but didn't look at the display - do they have demo units to try? I'm thinking an Ubuntu LiveCD or USB stick could be useful here.
This might not be a valid test. If the notebook, for instance, has an Nvidia or ATI chipset, the LiveCD driver would most likely be a generic VGA driver. Subsequently once you have Ubuntu (or other Linux) installed, you could install the proprietary Nvidia or FGLRX drivers so that you can get a good resolution. Windows comes with the proprietary drivers installed. Although I am not a fan of Dell's for the most part they put out a decent product, unlike Gateway. What you would need to to with Ubuntu is to install it, and set the software sources to include proprietary drivers and multiverse. These are check boxes. I suspect that once you have added the proper software sources, the appropriate drivers will be installed and you can get good resolution. You are going to run into this problem in most systems today.

--
Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix