On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 12:55 -0500, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 2009-01-21 3:33 PM, Lloyd Kvam wrote:
> >       2. was purchased at Staples, but, after installing Ubuntu, the
> >          screen driver was simply too slow to tolerate.  We returned the
> >          laptop after running the Windows restore.
>
> I've seen the Dell sign in the window at Staples, but didn't look at the
> display - do they have demo units to try?  I'm thinking an Ubuntu LiveCD
> or USB stick could be useful here.

Yes they do have units you can try.  Most systems work OK with Linux and
when Steph and I were shopping around, the main issue was the laptops
with numeric keypads - the keypads did not work in our quick fiddling.
I assume that could be remedied with a bit of work.

The HP laptop that was too slow did OK in casual store browsing.
However, once Steph started trying to do some real work on the laptop,
the screen scrolling was just too slow.  I assume that could have been
fixed within a few weeks, but she did not want to wait.

For me, the main concern would be proving that the wireless chip set
worked OK.  I'd expect to get the other components operational
eventually.

(My current laptop has a camera and bluetooth that have never been used.
The built-in camera device is not recognized, but I never had any need
to use it.  I never got around to buying a bluetooth mouse or keyboard
which would have forced me to discover if the bluetooth radio works.)

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp