On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Jerry Feldman <g...@blu.org> wrote:
> > I am running Fedora 12 with kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64
> > LVM is lvm2-2.02.53-2.fc12.x86_64
>
>   Does Fedora have an updates for the kernel or LVM (or device mapper,
> etc.) to install?
>
> > I've posted the details at: http://pastebin.com/4AtMzEjr
>

>   According to the output of "fdisk -l", the end of sda1 and the start
> of sda2 both occur within cylinder 26.  This may or may not be a
> problem.  Can you post "fdisk -lu /dev/sda" output so we can see exact
> sector layout?  I want to make sure the partitions do not overlap.
>
>  According to IBM/Microsoft, partitions start and end on cylinder
> boundaries.  If you ever use any OS or software which assumes
> IBM/Microsoft semantics, that may cause data loss, since as far as
> such software sees things, your partitions overlap.  And IBM/Microsoft
> did define the pee sea partition table format...
>
>  The cylinder boundary issue isn't supposed to matter to Linux (as
> long as sectors don't overlap), but partitioning in the pea sea is
> such a crock that it still has me worried.

FWIW, BSD (& Solaris) also uses cylinder boundries.  8 slices per disk
(0-7).  Slice 2 is the full disk cylinders 0-N and shouldn't be used for
anything.  Overlapping cylinders will lead to data loss eventually and newer
versions of Solaris prevent format (not fdisk) from doing that.  I don't
remember about the BSD systems.  Older BSD based ones did nothing to prevent
self LARTing.