On 03/06/2010 06:55 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Jerry Feldman<g...@blu.org>  wrote:
>
>> First I booted into Knoppix 6.2.1, started raid1, pvcreate failed,
>> stopped mdadm and did a pvcreate on /dev/sdc2.
>> Booted back into Fedora, and I have successfully done a vgextend to
>> /dev/md1 ...
>>
>    Ummm... I'm not sure, but I think that will end badly.  Both md and
> LVM have superblocks (or some other on-disk metadata structure).  That
> has to use space.  So md1 is going to be smaller than sdc2.  By
> creating the PV on sdc2 (without going through the md layer), LVM is
> unaware of the md superblock.  I think LVM puts the PV superblock at
> the start of the device, and md puts its superblock at the end.  So
> everything will appear to work until LVM happens to write to the end
> of md1, at which point it will (at best) get an "I/O past end of
> device" sort of error, or (at worst) overwrite the md superblock.
>
>    The only reason it appears to work at all is that md1 is RAID1 with
> one only member, so you can write anything to the non-superblock areas
> and the md layer will just pass that back up the storage stack.  So
> LVM has no way of knowing that the PV superblock it reads from the
> start of md1 is not an equivalent device to what it was written to
> (sdc2).
>
>    I could be wrong, but that's my take.
>
>    pvck may or may not detect this.

In any case, I decided to install from scratch. And after allocating the
RAID1 volumes and LVMs underneath them, when Fedora (anaconda) went to
write to disk it failed. I then redid it cutting the sizes in half so
each RAID1 volume was under 500GB. Same error. I then installed SuSE
11.2. It had no problem with the RAID1 and LVM, but at some point it had
errors with mounting /dev/md0. I also noted that the partitions were not
on cylinder boundaries. I then tried Ubuntu 9.10 but there was no way
RAID1 could be set up through the installer. In any case, I then used
fdisk to set my partitions on Cylinder boundaries and simply installed
Fedora 12 with LVM. The next step is to check bugzilla and and possibly
file a problem report, and I'll repeat this exercise after a while. A
couple of things I could try without messing up the system is pvcreate
with different extent sizes.

--
Jerry Feldman<g...@blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix