Jim Kuzdrall wrote:

> 1) higher attendance percentage:
>     Assuming that subject matter and level of the presentations is the
> primary draw, how do we find topics that appeal to a wider range of the
> contact group?  Do you ask those who attend regularly, as we did at the
> MerriLUG meeting?
>
>     If our hypothesis is correct that subject matter which is is wrong
> or slightly off target holds back attendance, these are exactly the
> wrong people to ask.  The people who don't attend must be asked.  But
> how?

It's hard asking people who don't attend. Man-in-the-street interviews
are not targeted. Asking fellow computer professionals you know can be
enlightening, and I encourage everyone to do it.

If we ask the people who attended meetings with higher attendance than
those with low attendance, we are asking a larger percentage of people
who normally do not attend meetings. So, analyzing the common factors in
highly-attended meetings are likely to indicate more popular topics.

>     I have no winning solution to offer.  However, one approach might be
> an auto-search the discussion list history looking for the top 25
> threads rated by the number of different individuals posting, not the
> number of posts.  What brings lurkers out of the woodwork?

Great question. Anyone volunteering for mailing list analysis? I'll bet
most modern languages would parse mboxes pretty easily.

> 2) expanding the contact group-
>     Before beating the bushes, it would be nice to know if the bushes
> can be expected to yield much of anything.  There is a measure called
> market penetration that might give guidance here.

> What percentage of registered professional engineers join their
> primary professional group, the National Society of Professional
> Engineers (NSPE).

I don't know.

  What percentage of businesses have membership in the
> Chamber of Commerce?

Less than 8%

> What percentage of gun owners belong to the National Rifle Association?

Less than 5%

>What percentage of the eligible over 55
> group belong to the AARP?

I don't know. And it's 50 now. And someone I know is NOT happy about that.

(Add any groups you feel are more relevant.)

ACM, IEEE, etc.

>     Statistics like the above are quite easy to get.  They give an idea
> of the number of a target population can be attracted by a well funded,
> well organized group.  Do you expect it to be closer to 90% or 10%?
>
>     (You might also look at the percentage of the members that attend
> meetings in these groups.)

Meeting attendance is even lower, certainly. Both percentages are likely
in the area of 10%. So,...

Let's assume 60 million Linux users worldwide, out of 6 billion people,
or approximately 1%. Since New Hampshire has around 1.5 million people,
let's assume 1% of them use Linux, 10% of them join the group, and 10%
of them attend a meeting.

That still means we should be able to double or triple the number of
people attending the meetings. And the high peak meetings confirm that
thesis.

>     Next, compare gnhLUG's market penetration with that of the other
> organizations.  Go to the Bureau of Labor statistics.  How many
> computer professionals reside in NH and northeastern Massachusetts?
> What percentage of these does the gnhlug-discuss mailing list
> represent?  How does that percentage compare with other technical
> organizations that you would class with gnhLUG?

GBCACM (http://www.gbcacm.org/website/about.php) claims 1500+ members,
although they have a different mandate.

BCS, at its peak, exceeded 35,000, with a much larger market.

>     If gnhLUG has a much smaller percentage, more advertising is likely
> to help.  If the market penetration is average, there will not be much
> long term gain from the recruiting effort.

A friend of a friend was in charge of marketing and advertising (two
distinctly different fields) for RDI, at one time a consulting
powerhouse in the mid-west. When asked how new customers found him, he
explained "Nothing worked." A yellow pages ad got no response. Speaking
at the local Chamber got no interest. Sponsoring a Little League team
didn't work. But getting the word out there through every channel did
eventually get people to call the company, each with a different and
unique way of having stumbled into it.

> 3) expand the contact group outside of computer professionals-
>     How does one identify non-computer professional groups that would be
> interested in Linux and the type of help that gnhLUG can provide?
>
>    I will toss out one idea, then run for cover.
>
>    Perhaps gnhLUG should run an "Ask Dr. Linux" column in the local
> papers. (Sort of a Dear Abbie for computer users.)  From the responses,
> the group could get a feeling for the kind of people that want help and
> what areas presentations should target.  Answering the questions could
> be a collaborative effort on gnhlug-discuss.

Interesting idea.

>     Anyway there is my proposed approach for the record.  If anyone
> eventually wants to explore it, the list archive on the gnhLUG server
> will enshrine it for indeterminate eons.

And future generations can analyze the wiki and mailing list archives
for the results.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC