On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Jeffry Smith wrote:
> ... than sendmail (much easier, in my opinion, but, then again, I've not
> bought the bat book) ...

  I don't think you even need the Bat book anymore.  For most configurations.
http://www.sendmail.org covers what you need to know.  Look for the
"Configuration Information" link under the "Primary resources for learning
about sendmail" section.  Our typical sendmail.mc file has only a dozen or so
commands.  Sure, it generates a 12 KB sendmail.cf file, but I don't care about
that.

  Keep in mind, I'm not saying qmail, exim, postfix, Courier, or whatever are
not as good -- or even better -- than sendmail is.  But I think a lot of
people turn sendmail into a bigger beast then it really is.  Most of
sendmail.cf is address parsing rules that are simply built into the C code of
whatever other mailer you happen to be using.  Treat them as the opaque data
that they are, and it isn't that hard.

  (That being said, I would eagerly look forward to any presentation on any
other Unix MTA out there.)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>