> How can you possibly justify $2k to any manager (or Wife for that matter) for
> training on a system that may as well be called anangrousmail for all they
> know. Who's speaking that needs 2k from everyone attending? Bill Gates? or a few
> playboy bunnies? I personally would have loved to go especially a few months ago
> when I was having problems. Why isn't anything like this done in parts at say,
> oh...THE LUG MEETINGS! Which is another story all together. I showed up for the
> last one waited until 7:25 and no one was around. No wonder Linux isn't widely
> accepted. Don't get me wrong I love Linux and use it all the time but this isn't
> a good way to turn people on to it or see it as a better alternative.
> Sorry Paul, I just want to see Linux succeed. And I want everyone to help
> each other. I know I live in a fantasy world.

Paul has already given you one concise answer, but let me add that, if you want a talk
at a LUG meeting:
1) Identify it - we're not mind-readers, if no one says they want a topic, how do we
know if it's going to be popular?
2) Identify a speaker (or offer to speak) - one of the other issues is finding people
to talk.  We don't require fancy graphics or great skills in the subject, since many
of the people in the audience may have even less skill in a particular subject.
Beginners are welcome to talk, because the remember what their problems were.  You can
even encourage audience participation, to get feedback from those experts in the
audience.  We really don't care, as long as someone will stand up their and give some
words of wisdom.

Also be aware that we have multiple chapters in the state - we've got a lot of
speaking engagements that need to be filled.

BTW: on the cost of training:  Sun courses in their catalog cost around $2000 / DAY.
$2000/week for a professional level course is not out of line.  I'm glad my management
decided to open the course to others in the area, as a show of (linux) community good
faith.

jeff

Jeffry Smith      Technical Sales Consultant     Mission Critical Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   phone:603.930.9739 fax:978.446.9470
Thought for today:  newsfroup // n.

 [Usenet] Silly synonym for
   newsgroup, originally a typo but now in regular use on
   Usenet's talk.bizarre, and other lunatic-fringe groups.  Compare
   hing, grilf, pr0n and fi