Today, Derek Martin gleaned this insight:

>Have you ever had any system administration training?  The courses are
>usually more like $3k-$5k.  This is a bargain.

First off I didn't know it was already planned and that the nature of it was
a private company meeting. It sounded like something MCL was hosting
(sponsoring) and they wanted money. Sorry.
        Second (And this has nothing to do with the foundation of my gripe) Paying
5k for exchange training is easy to sell because Exchange 2K is more visibly
functional to a manager not to mention it's in every magazine they read.
Assuming the average Manager doesn't read Linux Journal Like I do. Not to
mention I wanted to use Anangrous in a LUG message.

>How can you justify it?  Easy.  Sendmail is the mail system used by all
>major commercial Unix vendors (to my knowledge), and is shipped as the
>default on most of the free U*ixes too. It is the implementation of
>Internet mail that ALL of the Internet mail standards describe.  IOW,
>Sendmail IS the standard.

Most of us are trying to implement Linux not working for fortune 50 *nix
corporations. I'm not trying to argue just voice my opinion on a subject
that needs addressing. In my eyes this LUG has a long way to go. I
correspond with people in Pennsylvania that are 9 times out of ten more
willing to give good advice. As opposed to some of the condescending
egomaniacs that participate in this LUG. Now I've done it. I'm really just
frustrated that we all talk about helping people and selling Linux to
managers but when it comes down to crunch time lot of people are snobs all
of a sudden. I've had 3 Admin friends genuinely interested in Linux helped
them install it at home and they liked it. I told them to join the UG and
with in a week they left and said screw Linux. What does that tell you? I
know people a just volunteering time but we all have a common goal here.
Maddog didn't get people excited about this and do everything that he has
done by shutting people out and being a snob.

>Ray, you sound frustrated, and I'll only address that by saying that if
>you want something more out of the LUG, speak up!  But bear in mind that
>everyone who participates does so voluntarily, because they want to.
>This isn't a mandatory service that is provided to the Linux community...
>and people only contribute what they are willing to contribute, and/or
>capable of contributing.

        Yes I am and I thank you for your invitation. I was very interested in the
XML lecture and unfortunately missed it, after waiting so long. I've played
in bands at Martha's at least 2 dozen times and I know my way around pretty
well I seriously doubt I missed you. Perhaps everyone was enjoying food and
drink and I was a bit impatient, but I personally have a family and other
responsibilities so 7:00pm means 7:00 pm to me. What if I was coming down
from Laconia? Do I want to be out till all hours of the night? probably not.

        I guess everyone can consider this someone speaking up and making
suggestions on how to better the LUG. I care deeply about Linux. Otherwise,
I wouldn't be trying to build my own small business with it as my servers
and foundation.

>I don't know how you missed the last meeting (assuming you're talking
>about the last meeting in Nashua in January, with Mark Komarinski), but we
>were there...  If you're not sure where or when to go, let me know, and
>I'll meet you before hand. You know how to reach me man...

The (last minute)XML meeting. I was very interested.
I did walk into the restaurant at 7:15 and saw a group of about 15 at a
table not recognizing them I went back to the lobby, then outside then
upstairs then back to the little lobby, then gave up on waiting.
Peace,
Ray