On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Bruce Dawson wrote:

> An earlier message indicated that identd may be at fault

Yup.

> PS: Keep in mind that "attack" could just as easily be accidental
> (like a "heart attack") or malicious (like a "DoS attack"). You
> won't know until you've chased the problem down.

I believe it is accidental, as it seems to have been coming from the new
mail server and I was the only one on it at the time.  Commenting out
the auth line in inetd.conf went a long way to fixing that
issue.  Upgrading to 6.2 fixed the rest (mostly.)

> I should point out that that system is highly vulnerable (largely
> due to published exploits in various services and the kernel) - I
> just hope its firewalled from general access by the internet. If
> not, don't trust any files from that system.

Heh.  I just do what I'm told. (And often protest as I'm doing it...) I
know it's vulnerable.  So does my boss.  I don't think the company cares
all that much.  (I know... they *should* care....).  I guess they've
decided to rely on security through obscurity.  I'll only be here for
another 5 or 6 weeks and they won't have a product for another 5 or 6
months.  I did my part and warned them.  It isn't my fault if they want
to pay me to leave the door unlocked.

Brian
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Spam me and DIE!       |
|                 http://www.datasquire.net                   |
|                 Co-Founder & Co-Owner of                    |
|              Data Squire Internet Services                  |