On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 11:17:47PM -0500, Ray Bowles wrote:
> *** On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 at 5:32pm Paul Iadonisi shared this with the class::
>
> >   Today, if you look at the default install for 7.2, for example, you'll
> > find that Red Hat has take several very good steps at making the default
> > install more secure.  They don't start services unnecessarily that listen
> > on network interfaces other than the loopback interface (sendmail, for
> > instance).
>
> Any idea why they replaced lynx with links? Is it just a renamed bin?

  Actually, lynx is still there, but I don't know if it's installed by default.
I think it goes like this:
  lynx doesn't support frames, links does
  lynx supports ssl, links doesn't (didn't?)
  you can navigate with mouse clicks in links, you can't in lynx

  The big thing the frames support.  I expect that when links has ssl support
that lynx will go a way.  I don't think Red Hat has a problem with lynx, but
the frames support is probably what prompted it to migrate to links.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 06:23:57PM -0500, Derek D. Martin wrote:

> So does Red Hat.  With no reboots, and quite a bit faster, for a
> typical install, I might add.  I think you might be surprised how your
> mom would fare, if in fact she could handle the install for either.

  As an FYI, I've had my Mom using Linux for years (from Red Hat 6.1 up
through 7.2) without any problems related to Linux.  I had an advantage,
though, in that she had never used *any* computer before.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator