On issue with Linux in general is system administration. Most of us Unix
hackers know the underlying files. But, each distribution has a different
set of tools. I use SuSE(7.3). Their system admin tool is YaST(YaST1 is
character cell curses based, and YaST2 is GUI). SuSE uses /etc/rc.config in
a manner similar to Compaq's Tru64 (which we can thank Charles for). I
routinely change from DHCLIENT (home, work and Northeastern) to static IP
(MIT). Takes a few seconds to configure using YaST1.
I am less knowledgable with Red Hat. They did use Linuxconf, but I'm not
sure what they use now.

What is important for Linux Newbies is that there should be a relatively
straightforward system management utility that people can use to change
settings once the system has been installed.

On 13 Feb 2002 at 7:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I also have to weigh in on this thread.  Comparing RedHat to Debian is
> like comparing Campbell's soup to home cooking.  Or maybe it's more
> like comparing Velveeta to a fine Brie.  Some people recoil at the
> fact that there are trade-offs to be made when profitability and time
> to market become major engineering constraints.  Some people are
> willing to accept the trade-offs for convenience and industrial-grade
> consistency.  I'm personally too impatient to wait for Debian to get
> some of things right that are imporant to me (say - installation, or
> MH?) and too busy these days to dive in and help them get it straight.
>
> I run RedHat.  I started on Slackware, moved to RedHat (thanks Jon!)
> and have spent quality time with SuSE (ia32 and PPC), Mandrake and
> Debian.  I've poked at Corel and Storm.  I took a year long excursion
> into Mandrake and found it very difficult to routinely find some of
> the more obscure packages that were built with Mandrake in mind.
>
> I understand what's going to happen when dealing with RedHat.  The
> user base is broad enough that if something's going to cause trouble I
> hear about it in a hurry.  I can nearly count on two mildly buggy
> releases a year with relatively up-to-date stuff and I can ride herd
> on the bugs that get in my face.
>

> ccb
>
> --
> Charles C. Bennett, Jr.                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jerry Feldman
Portfolio Partner Engineering
508-467-4315 http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/linux/

Compaq Computer Corp.