I would use a network connection instead of the SCSI card to connect to the
sun box.

Configure the linux system as a NFS server for the Sun Worstation to use.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Buskey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 11:26 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Turning a PC into a RAID box?

I've heard about this being possible with FreeBSD but I haven't been
able to find any info on it.  Here's what I'm looking for:

Take a PC & install a minimal Linux or *BSD on it.
Install multiple IDE disks.
Run software RAID on it
Install a SCSI card in it.

Now, connect via SCSI to another machine (that doesn't have IDE) & use
it as an external RAID system.

Has anyone heard of this?  I have a Sun I'm using (no IDE) and a spare
P166 PC with SCSI & IDE.  I figure this setup is cheaper then buying
external SCSI drives.

--
-------
Tom Buskey