Bayard Coolidge USG said:

>>Take a PC & install a minimal Linux or *BSD on it.
>>Install multiple IDE disks.
>>Run software RAID on it
>>Install a SCSI card in it.
>>
>>Now, connect via SCSI to another machine (that doesn't have IDE) & use
>>it as an external RAID system.
>
>Well, as others have pointed out, using Target Mode is the way to go
>if you *insist* on doing it this way. However, I can tell you from
>personal professional experience, it ain't easy. What SCSI Host Bus
>Adapters are you planning to use and does their firmware "know"
>Target Mode? (Consider that a rhetorical question, BTW). How do you
>(plan to) turn on Target Mode support in your SCSI Driver or your
>HBA's device driver? (Assuming you know how, or it's documented...)

I'm not saying this is a good idea for a production environment.  As I
said in another post, I've seen something about FreeBSD being able to
do this, but I haven't been able to find it.

>What net? If you have dedicated Ethernet adapters on each system and
>use a crossover cable between them, it's not an issue.

True.  But then you're doing network access instead of SCSI access.

>I agree with  Mark Komarinski's assessment. Running 100 Mbit/sec FDX
>should do the trick for you. Remember, you'll have some track/sector
>seek times, so it's unlikely, in a TP environment, that you'll max out
>the link for very long.

Yep.  100Mb ~ 10MB (roughly).  There's also some latency from software
RAID.

I'm also not interested in creating a Network Appliance type box.

>And, since you're running a database, you want to make sure your data

I'm not. I'm just putting forth an example of where an NFS'd filesystem
doesn't work as well as a local filesystem.

>transfers are reliable. Running with hacked-up SCSI HBA firmware and
>device drivers is not, IMNSHO, commensurate with that...

True.

--
-------
Tom Buskey