In a message dated: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:17:29 EST
Benjamin Scott said:

>On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, at 1:24pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> It has more to do with that he wants to do something with SCSI that
>> SCSI isn't necessarilly *intended* to do, but is theoretically
>> *capable* of doing.
>
>  Actually, SCSI was intended to do things like this.

[...snip...]

> You are allowed multiple targets and multiple initiators.  The fact that
> most people use a single host attached to a bunch of "dumb" devices is
> incidental.

[...snip...]

>  The limitations we encounter here are mostly in Linux.

[...snip...]

Intention being relative I guess.  The reason it's a problem, as you
pointed out, is that most people *don't* use SCSI this way. As a
result HBA manufacturers have probably decided that it's cheaper
and easier to not provide this capability.

So, what started out as a great idea, went unused long enough to be
"taken off the shelf", and now that we're at the point where it's
possible/probable this capability can be used, it's no longer there :(

So, to more accurately state what I meant, he wants to do something
which the (current, cheap) HBAs were not meant to do, but *should* be,
based on the capabilities provided by SCSI.

Is that a little better :)
--

Seeya,
Paul