On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 14:45, Thomas Charron wrote:
>   I just wanted to pass on that I stumbled accross this quite by accident, and
> its small, yet can sure as heck wow friends and have that definate movie effect
> on things..
>
> http://www.systemtoolbox.com/bard/3ddesktop/
>
>   Its basically a desktop manager for Gnome using OpenGL.  8-)  I actually
> found it quite practical to use, much to my surpise, really..
>
>   *MAKE* sure you have hardware acceleration, though.  Not sure how well it'd
> work without it..

I'm trying this out - seems like it would be kinda fun for a while
anyway.  Quick info about my setup:

Athlon XP 1400
Nvidia Geforce 2
Debian woody

Running the binary drivers from Nvidia, and I have the Mesa stuff from
them installed as well.

When I go to compile 3ddesktop, I get:

c++  -g -Wall -O2   -c -o 3ddesk.o 3ddesk.cpp
c++  -g -Wall -O2   -c -o xutil.o xutil.cpp
c++  -g -Wall -O2   -c -o faceset.o faceset.cpp
c++  -g -Wall -O2   -c -o util.o util.cpp
c++ -Wall -I. -g -O2 -o 3ddesk 3ddesk.o xutil.o faceset.o util.o  -lm
-lGLU -lGL  -lSM -lICE  -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lXmu -lXt -lXi
-lm -lXxf86vm
3ddesk.o: In function `render_scene(void)':
/usr/src/3ddesktop-0.1.3/3ddesk.cpp:945: undefined reference to
`glutBitmapHelvetica12'
util.o: In function `ourPrintString(void *, char *)':
/usr/src/3ddesktop-0.1.3/util.cpp:292: undefined reference to
`glutBitmapCharacter'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [3ddesk] Error 1

It seems as though I'm missing some kind of glut library.  However:

# dpkg --get-selections | grep glut
glut-data       install
glut-doc        install
glutg3          install
glutg3-dev      install

# dpkg --get-selections | grep -i mesa
xlibmesa-dev                                    install
xlibmesa3                                       install

Anybody have any thoughts?

--
"Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]