----- Original Message -----
From: "Benjamin Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Greater NH Linux Users' Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: Fun GNOME Eye candy..

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, at 7:49pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > But then why does it care about your h/v sync rates?  If it only needs
> > be concerned with the card, shouldn't the card worry about that stuff?
>
>   The point was, XFree has to know how to tell the card how to operate in
> the mode your monitor needs.  XFree just talks to the card.  The card
drives
> the monitor.  If XFree is incapable of telling your card the right thing
> do, you are out-of-luck, even if the card can nominally support your
> monitor.

The only thing inputting your H/V sync rates do is allow the Xconfigurator
program to enable the highest standard video mode that your monitor can
support.

I did this with my Viewsonic 21 with XFree 3.x.x when the Viewsonic 21
configuration file was hosed. I got to a higher resolution and higher
vertical sync rate doing it this way.

Rich Cloutier
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES
President, C*O