Especially in the Unix/Linux environment, I think that creating files or
directories with spaces is ill advised, but there is a reality. Many
Windows users are migrating to Linux, and are bringing their habits with
them. Additionally, we tend to share file systems with Windows by importing
or exporting shares, or through dual booting.  Also, we have Windows style
file managers supplied with both GNOME and KDE. Unfortunately, people will
continue to create files and directories with spaces. Even some of our
Linux based systems, like Star Office and Netscape will create and possibly
suggest files names containing spaces. We, as developers or systems
management people need to recognize the fact that file names will contain
spaces and sometimes non-printable characters.

I recall a system some time ago that dealt with this automatically, by
allowing the use of underscores to refer to files with embedded spaces in
the file names. I don't recall, but it may have been one of the Windows
emulator systems that used to run on Unix. So, if there was a file (or
directory in this case), My Documents, you could type My_Documents which
would refer to the same file.
--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director