"Derek D. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Personally, I wish operating systems would limit the characters that
> can be used in filenames to [A-Za-z0-9.:_=+-]+ or something very
> similar.  There's no good reason why other characters NEED to be
> allowed,  The only reason I included as much punctuation as I did is
> that it is, sometimes, useful to be allowed to have a handful of
> characters which are not alphanumeric in your filename.  The few I
> chose are the most commonly used ones.

Another possible approach would be to make the GUI use url-like encoding
for "bad" characters. For instance, if the user tries to create a filename
with a space, make the actual filename use "%20", and when displaying a
directory listing in the gui, translate it back to a space for display.
Similarly, a "%" in the gui maps to "%25" underneath, so we don't lose
use of the "%" character. Then do the same for the remaining shell
metacharacters.

Of course, it's kind of an ugly solution. You'd still want to educate users
not to use spaces or other metacharacters.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER [EMAIL PROTECTED] / YAHOO abreauj
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9