Ok all... haven't heard from me for a while, but it's pretty much mid-may,
and my calendar says it's time to start work on "LilyX" (working title --
courtesy of someone on this list but i don't know who).

On the pending approval of HWN and JCN (reading this guys?) the first few
thousand releases of lilyx will be LyX like because of the extreme
difficulty of integration when LilyPond changes so often.

It will be coded in c++ to keep in line with current efforts (you guys got
some serious problem with C or something?! :) ).  GTK will be used for all
of the happy widgets.  For the staves, notes, etc.. i'm still considering
DPS (suggested by HWN) and something along the lines of XCircuit, with
some heavy modifications.  Although probably more work, i'm leaning
towards the xcircuit side of things at the moment.

As for current progress: heh :)  I still have to finish up the GTK
tutorial before i send out the preliminary design code (i do plan on
sending out completely non-functional code showing the basic GTK design
for approval/flame/whatever).  I certainly must decide the issue of DPS or
not.  As well, the latest releases of lily aren't running perfectly for
me at the moment so i must certainly fix that first.  I think it's got
something to do with the Latex installation on my box but i haven't dug
into that yet.  And last but not least... i kinda have to figure out the
lily code so that i can make sure that if total integration should happen
someday that it is as painless as possible.

Oh yeah.. and i gotta go get my hair cut today.

what i am gonna need are 1) wish lists, 2) coding ideas, 3) mudela files
that will point out things that i wouldn't think of (i mostly write jazz
lead sheets -- pretty simple as far as lily is concerned), 4)design
critiques from users (on the visual aspect of things) and from coders (on
the source aspect of things), and 5) about 600 other things that will come
up as we go.

Ok... that's pretty damned tiny and vague, but it's a start.

Take it easy all, and i'm sure we'll chat again real soon.

Derek Wyatt, Programmer/Analyst AND student at the Univ of Toronto
I only work part time... leave me alone! :)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Basically, Microsoft, Novell, and Apple.... they all suck!"