I would suggest that LilyX not be a separate stand-alone project.
Borrow from Lilypond: the Mudela I/O is probably applicable, if you
internally use the same classes as Lilypond.  Midi keyboard input can
start as mi2mu.

I also like the idea of starting with Rosegarden.  That's got a usable
GUI editor, for a jumping off point.  I'd make the mousings more like
modern Win95 apps (right-click on anything to get a menu of what to do
with it, etc).  And certainly make it keyboard-friendly.  My fingers work
faster than my wrist.  When I first wanted to enter some musical scores,
I downloaded Rosegarden and Lilypond.  At first I thought I would like
Rosegarden better: it's graphical after all.  But for anything serious, I
can write mudela faster in a text editor.  LilyX should be fast and
convenient enough to make "text editor" mode obsolete.  (For the mundane
work at least -- we all agree that we'll need to hand-edit the resulting
files).

--
Dave  | Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brown | Packet: N2RJT@WB2PSI.#WNY.NY.USA.NOAM