    jeff> what's the correct way to add the tempo marking "largo" at
    jeff> the beginning?

    Peter> I'd probably attach the word `largo' to the first note
    Peter> gis4-4^"{\it largo}

ok, that works (with an added " at the end).

    jeff> any suggestions on how to do cejilla marks?

    Peter> Likewise, you can attach arbitrary text to notes.  Cejilla
    Peter> marks always are above the staff.  You've done this at bar
    Peter> 9, I don't know why it's not appearing int he postscript --
    Peter> a Bug?

anyone?  i should learn to do lyrics anyway, will try doing it with
that.

    jeff> any suggestions on how to do string marks?  these are
    jeff> circled numbers, 1-6, indicating upon which string a note
    jeff> should be played.

    Peter> Try this:

\newcommand{\string}[1]{{\ooalign{\hfil\raise.07ex\hbox{#1}\hfil\crcr\mathhexbox20D}}}

    Peter> Put it into circles.tex or somewhere, then include with
    Peter> ly2dvi -F circles.tex ....  Use with b^"\string{3}"

had to change that to \stringnum, or else tex dies, saying:

! LaTeX Error: Command \string already defined.

    Peter> Then \string{3} should generate a circled 3.

i just get an empty circle, and it's above the note, but shoved quite
a bit to the left of it.

    jeff> about the ordering of fingering numbers: shouldn't the one
    jeff> pertaining to a higher note be positioned above that a
    jeff> associated with a lower note?  if i do this: < c-1 a-2 > , i
    jeff> end up with the number 2 positioned over the number 1, when
    jeff> the fingering is actually 1 for the higher note, and 2 for
    jeff> the lower.

    Peter> I would have thought so.  Try swapping the order in the
    Peter> chord. <a-2 c-1>

yes, that's what i did; i just didn't think i should have to.  if i
forget the order in which i have to enter the notes at some point, the
fingering will be all screwed up.

    jeff> and is there a way to shorten the flags in measure 13, where
    jeff> they collide with the bass notes?

    Peter> You can do it globally by setting (e.g.) stem_length = 7mm;
    Peter> in the \paper declaration.

lily dies on this with:

./lagrima.ly:119:22: error: parse error, expecting `'='':
    stem_length = 7mm;

    jeff> how do i set the midi instrument so i get a guitar instead
    jeff> of a piano?

    Peter> \property Staff.midi_instrument = "guitar" will do that, I
    Peter> think.

nope.  still sounds like a piano.  "violin", "french horn",
"clarinet", etc. (all the stuff you see in the coriolan examples)
work, but not "guitar".  where does a person get a list of midi
instrument names lilypond will accept, and the instruments to which
they correspond?  (eg., if "guitar" worked, would it cause the
acoustic guitar sound (instrument 26) to be used, or the nylon string
guitar that i'm looking for (instrument 25)).

    jeff> and before you tell me to rtfm, where is the fm?

    Peter> It's in the source release.... Can't help you with the RPM.

ok, found it, even managed to make a dvi file from it.  :)  i'm
leaving tomorrow for a week in west virginia; will take it with me to
read, and maybe i'll actually know something by the time i get back.

| jeff covey [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://pobox.com/~jeff.covey/ 410-669-4926 |
|if we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world peace |
|for an hour, imagine how serene it would be until the looting started.      |