jeff> i got so excited about lilypond 1.0 last night that i stayed up

jeff> about the score: ================ what's the correct way to add
jeff> the tempo marking "largo" at the beginning?

I'd probably attach the word `largo' to the first note
    gis4-4^"{\it largo}

jeff> any suggestions on how to do cejilla marks?
Likewise, you can attach arbitrary text to notes.  Cejilla marks
always are above the staff.  You've done this at bar 9, I don't know
why it's not appearing int he postscript -- a Bug?
You can't easily put the line indicating extent.  I'm unhappy with the
corresponding situation for lyrics -- where a syllable exteds over
several notes, there should be a line to indicate that, but Lilypond
doesn't do that at present.

jeff> any suggestions on how to do string marks?  these are circled
jeff> numbers, 1-6, indicating upon which string a note should be
jeff> played.

Try this:
\newcommand{\string}[1]{{\ooalign{\hfil\raise.07ex\hbox{#1}\hfil\crcr\mathhexbox20D}}}

Put it into circles.tex or somewhere, then include with
    ly2dvi -F circles.tex ....
Use with
    b^"\string{3}"

Then \string{3} should generate a circled 3. (You may need to fiddle
the \raise.07ex).

jeff> about the ordering of fingering numbers: shouldn't the one
jeff> pertaining to a higher note be positioned above that a
jeff> associated with a lower note?  if i do this: < c-1 a-2 > , i end
jeff> up with the number 2 positioned over the number 1, when the
jeff> fingering is actually 1 for the higher note, and 2 for the
jeff> lower.

I would have thought so.  Try swapping the order in the chord. <a-2 c-1>

jeff> also, why does only one zero show up in the third eighth beat of
jeff> measure 10?  the notes are: < g-0 b-0 > , which should result in
jeff> two 0s on top of each other.

It's a bug (currently if the same text is attached to more than one
note in a chord, the text is merged.  This allows crescendos (e.g.) to
be specified in each part, so that whether the parts are gathered on a
single system or printed out separately, things look right).

jeff> is there a way to add extra space between stems and fingerings,
jeff> for example in measure nine, where the 0 is covered by the flag
jeff> stem?

There probably is, but I don't know what.

jeff> and is there a way to shorten the flags in measure 13, where
jeff> they collide with the bass notes?

You can do it globally by setting (e.g.) stem_length = 7mm; in the
\paper declaration.  But there's no way I know of to set it for a
small number of notes.

jeff> about the midi output

(Sorry, I don't know much about the Midi output)

jeff> how do i set the midi instrument so i get a guitar instead of a
jeff> piano?

\property Staff.midi_instrument = "guitar" will do that, I think.

jeff> and before you tell me to rtfm, where is the fm?  :) what's
jeff> happened to the mudela manual?  it's not in
jeff> /usr/doc/lilypond-[version] any more in the rpm installation;
jeff> the only copy i have is one i printed last may.

It's in the source release.... Can't help you with the RPM.

Peter C