On Wednesday, 28 October 1998, Tom Cato Amundsen writes:

> I have started to make registration symbols for accordion.
> In the accordion world we have a lot of different symbols,
> partly because it is a complicated instrument, partly
> because some use old non-standard are often used,
> partly because there is some disagreement/confusion
> between accordionists.

Just out of curiosity, where are these symbols placed,
what do they look like?

> So I will the most normal 20-30 symbols first, and do
> the rest when I learn metafont and how LilyPond deals
> with fonts.
>
> Is it ok to put the metafont code in mf/feta-accordion.mf
> and and the lilypond definition in init/accordion-defs.ly?
> feta-accordion.mf will be included into the metafont
> source the same way as mf/feta-slag.mf

Yes, that seems the proper place.

> On the accordion we name the different voices in the
> instrument the same way as organ, 4-feet, 8-feet, 16-feet,
> but there are no standard names like flute 8' or
> trumpet 16' so I will just give the symbols some
> not-so-easy to read names that describes quite exact
> what symbol they will produce:
> accordion_reg_48816
> accordion_reg_16
> accordion_reg_stdbass_6816
> accordion_reg_bayanbass_21616
> accordion_stdbass_symbol
> accordion_freebass_symbol
>
> I know the numbers in the names force the user to type
> $ before the name, but I see this as the simplest way
> to make all the different names.

Fine.  The $ is silly, and not here to stay anyway.

> Some other questions:
> * I have seen some talk about egcs. Do I need it (and
>   what version) to compile 1.1-series of LilyPond on
>   linux-i586 or will a new gcc do?

You just need a gcc compiler that handles rtti and templates,
i.e. >= 2.8.  Egcs should also do fine.

> * Should I make patches to mudela-book, and eventually
>   accordion symbols against 1.0.17 or 1.1.x?

Latest development is 1.1, so patches against that.
For mf symbols it shouldn't make too much difference.

> * Is 1.1.0 supposed to work? I compiled it with guile1.3
>   and gcc 2.8.2.1 after editing config.h to enable guile

Editing should not be required.  Did you download the tarball,
or did you use the patch?
You always have to reconfigure, and possibly rerun autoconf.

>   support, but it locks or dumps core (sorry don't remember)
>   when it produces tex or postscrip output.

No, 1.1.0 is quite experimental, that's why we branched.
It should work for simple pieces of music, though.

Only if you really, really need to produce music in the short
term, and 1.1.x is not stable enough, one should consider
working on 1.0.

Good luck with the symbols!

Jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien       | http://www.xs4all.nl/~jantien/lilypond