[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> So I will the most normal 20-30 symbols first, and do
> the rest when I learn metafont and how LilyPond deals
> with fonts.

OK.

> Is it ok to put the metafont code in mf/feta-accordion.mf
> and and the lilypond definition in init/accordion-defs.ly?
> feta-accordion.mf will be included into the metafont
> source the same way as mf/feta-slag.mf

Yes, that looks fine.

> On the accordion we name the different voices in the
> instrument the same way as organ, 4-feet, 8-feet, 16-feet,
> but there are no standard names like flute 8' or
> trumpet 16' so I will just give the symbols some
> not-so-easy to read names that describes quite exact
> what symbol they will produce:
> accordion_reg_48816
> accordion_reg_16
> accordion_reg_stdbass_6816
> accordion_reg_bayanbass_21616
> accordion_stdbass_symbol
> accordion_freebass_symbol
>
> I know the numbers in the names force the user to type
> $ before the name, but I see this as the simplest way
> to make all the different names.

I was considering to drop the $ because it so incredibly ugly, so
could you try to think of shorter names? Of course it is not terribly
important, because they are identifiers, and can be readily changed,
but it would be nice if the names look nice (and are uniform across
the "language").

> Some other questions:
> * I have seen some talk about egcs. Do I need it (and
>   what version) to compile 1.1-series of LilyPond on
>   linux-i586 or will a new gcc do?

I am not sure.  EGCS 1.03 and 1.1 are known to work.

> * Should I make patches to mudela-book, and eventually
>   accordion symbols against 1.0.17 or 1.1.x?

1.1 please, I try to keep fixes for 1.0 to a bare minimum.

> * Is 1.1.0 supposed to work? I compiled it with guile1.3
>   and gcc 2.8.2.1 after editing config.h to enable guile
>   support, but it locks or dumps core (sorry don't remember)
>   when it produces tex or postscrip output.

Try not use -O2 with EGCS on intel.  I had some nasty core dumps when I
used egcs-1.1b with -O2 .