> Well, for non-gurus not running Linux or .. (burp),
> the instructions would look like this:

OK, I think maybe I can be of some use here by writing some HTML waffle.
How about the following?

Regards Silas

<HTML>
<HEAD>
   <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1">
   <META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.07 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.0.34
i686) [Netscape]">
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<H2>
Novice installation instructions for Unix</H2>
These instructions are intended for people who have accounts on Unix (or
Unix-like) systems and want to install LilyPond in their home
directories.&nbsp;
It is assumed that you know how to log in to the system that you have an
account on and that you have full access to a command shell (over
<TT>telnet</TT>
or similar), not just <TT>ftp</TT> access or a menu system.&nbsp; In other
words, you should be able to get to a prompt at which you can type
<TT>ls</TT>
to look at your files, <TT>mkdir</TT> to make a directory and so on.&nbsp;
If you are in doubt about whether your account gives you access to the
shell, then please contact your system administrator.
<P>The lilypond package requires certain publically-available programs
to be already existing on the Unix system.&nbsp; Fortunately these
programs
are already present on most well set-up systems, but if for some reason
they are not present on yours then the installation may go wrong.
<P><B>Important note</B>: Unlike DOS, Unix is case-sensitive.&nbsp; It
matters whether or not a letter is capital in a file or directory
name.&nbsp;
So <TT>pub/gnu</TT> is <B>not</B> the same as <TT>pub/GNU</TT>.
<P>Log in to a Unix or Unix-alike system using <TT>telnet</TT> or similar,
and type:
<P><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; cd ~</TT>
<BR><TT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ftp ftp.cs.uu.nl</TT>
<P>When prompted for your name, enter the word <TT>anonymous</TT>.&nbsp;
As instructed, type your complete email address as the password.
<P>You should see a message that ends with something like the following:
<P><TT>230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.</TT>
<BR><TT>Remote system type is UNIX.</TT>
<BR><TT>Using binary mode to transfer files.</TT>
<BR><TT>ftp></TT>
<P>If you do not, then something has gone wrong.&nbsp; If all is well,
then type:
<P><TT>cd pub/GNU/LilyPond/stable</TT>
<P>for the "stable" version, or
<P><TT>cd pub/GNU/LilyPond/development</TT>
<P>for the development version.&nbsp; It is highly recommended that you
choose the "stable" version if you are not experienced.&nbsp; If all is
well, you should see the message:
<P><TT>250 CWD command successful.</TT>
<P>Now type:
<P><TT>ls -rt</TT>
<P>Among the last lines of the output, there should be a file of the form
lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz, where x, y and z are numbers.&nbsp; Substituting
those numbers for x, y and z, type
<P><TT>get lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz</TT>
<P>At this point you may have to wait while the file is transferred into
your home directory.&nbsp; If all is well, you should eventually see a
message including the line
<P><TT>226 Transfer complete.</TT>
<P>followed by something about how many bytes were transferred.&nbsp; Now
type the following, again substituting x, y and z for the numbers in
question:
<P><TT>quit</TT>
<BR><TT>gzip -dc lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz | tar xf -</TT>
<BR><TT>rm lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz</TT>
<BR><TT>mv lilypond-x.y.z lilypond</TT>
<BR><TT>cd lilypond</TT>
<BR><TT>./configure</TT>
<P>At this point you will see many, many messages.&nbsp; Don't worry -
you don't have to read them all!&nbsp; Soon you will be returned to the
prompt and, if all is well, the last few lines should say
"checking"&nbsp;and
"creating"&nbsp;various things, without any sort of error.&nbsp; Now type:
<P><TT>nice -1 make</TT>
<P>(that is a number one not a letter L), at which point even more cryptic
messages will begin to appear, and will carry on for even longer.&nbsp;
Be patient (or do something else in another window) for a while&nbsp;and
wait for it all to stop and the prompt to reappear at the bottom.&nbsp;
On some slower systems it can take an hour or more, but hopefully you
won't
have to wait that long.&nbsp; When all is finished (and hopefully the last
line does not include "Error"), you can type
<P><TT>nice -1 make install</TT>
<P>When this has also finished, you may proceed to the <A
HREF="http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/Documentation/tex/out-www/tutorial.html">Lilypond
tutorial</A> and start using Lilypond.
<P>In future, you may enter the Lilypond directory by typing:
<BR><TT>cd ~/lilypond</TT>
<BR>&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>