[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Well, for non-gurus not running Linux or .. (burp),
> > the instructions would look like this:
>
> OK, I think maybe I can be of some use here by writing some HTML waffle.
> How about the following?

Thanks.  Do you have a plaintext version as well?  We usually generate
HTML from a different format.

> <P><TT>quit</TT>
> <BR><TT>gzip -dc lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz | tar xf -</TT>
> <BR><TT>rm lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz</TT>
> <BR><TT>mv lilypond-x.y.z lilypond</TT>
> <BR><TT>cd lilypond</TT>
> <BR><TT>./configure</TT>

normally, we do

        cd $HOME
        mkdir usr
        cd usr
        mkdir src
        tar xfz  lilypond-x.y.z.tar.gz
        cd lilypond-x.y.z
        sh ./buildscripts/set-lily.sh  #part of the standard distribution
        make

        (make install)

this will put the installation files into $HOME/usr/ (If you don't
supply arguments to configure, files will be put in /usr/local/, and
you probably don't have write access to that location.)

You might want to check out our installation instructions.  they are
within the .tar.gz file as INSTALL.txt;

>Novice installation instructions for Unix</H2>
>These instructions are intended for people who have accounts on Unix (or
>Unix-like) systems and want to install LilyPond in their home
>directories.&nbsp;

Unix users on ISPs and multiuser systems are likely to have
restrictions on disk space, which makes compiling and using LilyPond
from within the home directory difficult.