[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
different links should be grouped.

> >   * download printable (PS/PDF a4/letter versions)
> >
> >   * download sourcefiles (typically: .ly)
>
> Are we accepting music files from other sources, then?

I have no problem with music that comes from other sources, as long as
they do not require non-free software.  I guess musi*tex is more or
less OK, but SCORE or Finale is not.

> >   * download playables (typically: .midi)
>
> I wasn't sure about putting midi files on - the ones generated by Lilypond at
> the moment are fairly basic - things like ties are ignored. I think they will
> get added eventually so that people can listen to what a piece of music sounds
> like before downloading it.

I propose doing it now.

> >   * other pieces with the same level (for teaching/etudes)
>
> This would involve grading all the pieces, which could be troublesome - which
> method do you use (I assume all countries are different - I know the UK and USA
> are)? This is not something I feel I would be able to do but if someone else
> offers to grade each individual piece of music on Mutopia then I'll include it
> as an option.

It was just an idea off the top of my head.

> > pianosonata.  The download links of the website would point to the FTP
> > site.
>
> An excellent idea. I don't know what we'd do with pieces without an opus number
> (quite a few) - perhaps order them by year. I think famous composers like
> Beethoven have standardized "Ohne Opus" (I think) numbers which we could use.

Lets assume that there are numbering schemes for all works.  (If there
is none, we can invent one ourselves: the "Mutopus" number, or sometihng.)

> >> website until we've sorted out the copyright situation on this mailing list.
> >> There's no rush, however as I've got plenty to do designing the rest of the
> >> site!
> >
> > Yep.  Time to devise a legal document.
>
> I'm too tired to think about that now. I'll have a think about what it should
> say. I guess it doesn't want to be too long, but be clear and concise about how
> the ps/pdf files may be distributed and what the ly files can be used for.

I didn't mean you had to do it.  Perhaps I can write down something
over the weekend.