[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Perhaps we can have multiple spellings. One standard form for the
> > mutopia archive, and one (preferrably the original cyrillic) spelling
> > for the printout.
>
> When you say the original cyrillic do you mean using the actual cyrillic
> letters,

Preferably, yes: if we're doing originals, we might as well use
original lettering.

> or a direct translation to English (Latin?) letters? I would have no
> idea how to do the first and wouldn't really know which one to choose if you
> mean the second - looking up Tchaikovsky in the Oxford Companion to Music gives:
>
> Tchaikovsky (Tschaikowsky, Chaykovski, Chaikovsky, &c)
>
> Is any one of these any more correct than the others? I can include them all in
> the database for searching but which one should be printed on the music itself?

OK.  Which one should be printed is the decision of the maintainer of
the music. Which one should be indexed?

Either we could have a field with multiple entries

    mutopiaComposerIndex = "P.I.Tchaikovsky P.I.Tschaikowsky
    P.I.Chaikovsky"

or we could have one and create aliases in the database
(eg. Tschaikowsky: see Chaikovsky) the name to choose for the index
should be a standard transcription (that can be looked up) of
Cyrillic: this makes it obvious how to enter other Russian names.

I can not imagine that there is no standard for transcribing Cyrillic
to English.