On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Shamus wrote:

> This is exactly what's needed!  Too bad it's not in the documentation...
> And too bad it doesn't do what I want it to (it prints "Piano " in front of
> each staff instead of once in front of the brace, and it prints headings on
> every system of staves--I only need it on the first system)...  Also, I
> noticed when I made this example (staff-margin.ly) that it put the text
> "Piano " right on top of the text "Right ".

Hmm, with lilypond-1.2.6, it doesn't do this any longer. The "Piano"
string isn't exactly centered, but it's not printed on top of one of
the other strings at least.

> Michael:  Your suggestion for tweaking the TeX file would probably work, but
> isn't that exactly the kind of mucking around that LilyPond is supposed to
> eliminate?  ;-p

Mhmhmhm.... I think Lilypond should concentrate on typesettings notes
beautifully, nothing more. I admit that this way it's no tool that the
average MS Word User can make full use of with one day learning time,
but I don't think there will be a solution to this problem any time.
Somehow it's the Unix "utility toolbox" philosophy -- you have a lot
of tools which handle *one* job very well, and it's up to you to
combine them to achieve what you want.

--
michael krause [aka raw style / lego] - www.tu-harburg.de/~semk2104/