Chris> As no one else seems to be discussing these issues right now, I will
Chris> consolidate my thoughts on the situation.

Chris> There seem to be four categories of music:

Chris> o Urtext music or an edition/arrangement which is entirely out of
Chris>   copyright.

Not all Urtexts are out of copyright.  I think you mean only the
second part of your statement.  Remember, an Urtext is an
Editor's reconstruction of what that editor thinks is the original
composer's music.  It is *not* necessarily what the composer actually
wrote.

Peter C