On 12-Sep-99 Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>    I realise that typesetting can be copyright - this is the reason I
>    can't buy a book of Bach's Urtexts (for example), photocopy parts
>    of it and give them away.
>
> Sorry, but you can (at least in Austria or Germany, but not in
> France)!  Typesetting an Urtext edition isn't copyrighted --
> typesetting is a handcraft, not an art.  What's copyrighted in an
> Urtext edition is the editor's comment or the revision remarks,
> cadenzas added by the editor, etc.

I wasn't aware of that - thanks for letting me know. I believe that
copying this in Britain would be illegal, however - or at least that's
what the music publishing companies want us to think!

But of course as Han-Wen has said before, "The copyright of the engraver
is of no interest to us, since we will not reproduce any of the layout."

Chris

--

Chris Sawer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]