============ Werner
You wrote that it [copyright notice] is *required* on the title page.
-------------------
The rule is that the copyright notice is placed either on the title
page *or* on the *first* page of music. Simple. Not burdensome at all. I
fail to see any sense in which the rule is outdated for printed music.
It only suffices if *every* judge in the world agrees that it is
outdated, not just a majority of the enlightened judges in our
countries. :-)

I have not mentioned the important reality that there have been
relatively few court decisions in copyright law, which makes even the
best expertise questionable on untested issues. The fact that cases are
settled means that the copyright laws are good and working, especially
compared to the patent laws, which stink.

If you want to protect a single sheet, a bare bones notice anywhere on
the page suffices. So what? Have you ever seen a single page of music
from a print publisher without any cover or title page?

What overhead? A page of slightly formatted or even plain text? The cost
($0.015) of printing? Disk storage? Let's see, with no compression,
1K... Well, make it fancy with fonts and stuff at 20K--at $0.10 a
megabyte...

Seldom do you see a single page of music as an item in a concert
program. I am not well organized enough to handle single pages of music
and I have *a lot* of them. I think most people, like myself, bind them
into collections (which I should do right now instead of typing this) as
much as their laziness permits. It would be good to distribute that way
too. I think that a person downloading 100 files containing 100 single
sheets of music each with a title page would much more appreciate
putting them into 35 files, say, with 1 title page each rather than
eliminating 100 title pages and still having to fool with 100 files.
Individual files have overhead from the filesystem too, as you know far
better than I, and more to
come every time ext2 is upgraded (which is good), not to mention the
world of :-@=o=o clusters. For myself, I would not regard a title page
even with a single sheet as unduly burdensome either, since the music is
*free*, and I would like to have information about the piece if I were
interested enough in it to download it it the first place.

What about giving credit to the people who do the work or contribute
in other ways, and to the project(s)?

I once heard Segovia comment on a taped up piece of music a student put
on the stand at a master class. He picked it up and searched it in vain
and concluded, "Without father or mother".

Title page title page title page title page.....

--
Peace, understanding, health and happiness to all beings!
     U  U   u       ^^         `    'U u   U  ''`'`