Hello,

yesterday I had the chance to ask a professional flute player about the
problem how parts are printed if two instruments are typeset in one staff-
line of a score using up-stems for one voice, down-stems for the other voice,
"a due" or "a 2" indication for unisono phrases, ...

She told me that some editions have parts containing both voices as in the
score and other editions with completely seperated parts. And that's the
difference between bad and good editions :-)

>From my own experience I know that for the string section of an orchestral
score another practice is used. If e.g. the 2nd violins play two different
voices then the notation in the score is as described above. In the parts
the notation is very similar, sometimes as voices indicated by up stems
and down stems or as chords with "div" or "divisi" annotation and no
special indication for unisono phrases because such phrases are normally
played by all instruments in that section. So it's only neccessary to
indicate where only a few players or only one player should play the phrase.

-- Werner