Dirk> Can someone please explain to me why brass wind instruments
Dirk> don't are notated in C major always? (I guess they're too lazy
Dirk> to remember the accidentals ;-) )

Becasue the same fingerings can produce different notes on different
instruments.  It's much easier to read and play (especially when one
has to switch between instruments rapidly) if the notation to
fingering mapping is always the same.  As a recorder player I often
mistakenly continue thinking `F' instrument (e.g., treble, bass
recorder) when switching to a C instrument (descant or tenor) -- but
when I was playing brass, switching between an Eflat and a Bflat
instrument was easy because the fingerings are identical --- there's
just a bit of embouchure change to make, which one is cued to by the
different mouthpiece shapes anyway (I imagine the same goes for Horn
players -- with a different crook they can play in any key they want
to).

PeterC