> I think I meant that, when I wrote that list of chords & scales in chord
> -names.scm, I didn't intend to be able to get the chord "C" out -
> instead I want it to print "Cmaj7", since that signifies "use the C
> major scale" to a jazz musician (or at least, to me :).

Hmm.  How then would you get just a plain "C" typeset then?  ;-p  Most pop
charts I've seen avoid 7th chords like the plague...  Seriously, though,
most music that I typeset requires both (and some chords that aren't
properly handled yet--my own fault).

> Yeah - I want to be able to type in a scale and get lily to print out
> the appropriate chord/scale symbol.
> This seems unnecessary for, say, a major 7th chord, but what about some
> of the more complicated scales?  e.g. whole tone.  Or what about user-
> defined scales?

I'm still not sure I fully understand.  What it *sounds* like is that you
want to tell lily, say, use the Lydian mode for constructing all future
chords so that your I chord comes out automagically as a diminished chord?

> Well...I've got an idea, but yeah, it might be too simplistic.  Who else
> uses chord symbols other than for jazz, or pop charts?  Surely they're
> not used in classical music?

It depends.  ;-)  Perhaps I want to analyze say, Prelude I from the Well
Tempered Clavier (book I) and have chord symbols above each measure to
remind me of the structure of the broken chord in each measure (to be fair,
most classical analysis is probably *not* done this way, but I like it).
Hey, now there's a thought!  How about a facility for typesetting classical
analysis (such as: C#m: Im V[6 4] Im with the 6 stacked on top of the
four--look at Walter Piston's *Harmony* for copious examples)?  >-)

> NB. My "p.s." there wasn't a criticism!  I think lily is great.  I've
> just typeset an arrangement of "Summertime" using that modified chord-
> names.scm, and it's looking sweet.

I didn't think it was, BTW.  The chord mechanism has certainly come a long
way from when I first discovered lily (around the 1.2.x iteration) and has
finally become pretty usable, IMO.  Now I don't have to apologize for the
way the chord symbols look when I give sheets to musicians I'm playing with!

-- Shamus